Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

She Makes Bechamel Sauce



Ah! The mother of all sauces! Even before coming to France, I am already familiar with Béchamel sauce. But as I was not that enthusiastic about cooking back then, I never thought of learning how to make one. With which surprises my boss. When I told her I do not know how to make béchamel sauce, she gasped and quickly took out a pan and started teaching me.

The sauce has a lot of interpretation. Google it and you will find thousands of different recipes. But simply, Béchamel is a white sauce that is made of butter, milk and flour.

1. To make a Béchamel sauce you need (as mentioned) butter, flour and milk. I also put a hint of nutmeg for taste.

2. Melt the butter to a low heat.

3. Once the butter has melted, add the flour a spoon at a time. Stir at the same time. Do not stop stirring to avoid lumps. Keep adding flour until it forms into a small ball.

4. Gently add milk. Keep adding and stirring until the mixture becomes smooth in consistency. Add a pinch of nutmeg.

Et voila! C'est fait! As I have discovered, the key to traditional French cuisine is this sauce. Once learned you can make a plenty of dishes like pot-au-feu and gratins.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment